Friday, November 2, 2012

"be afraid"



Oh man, I need to remember this quote. It's sort of a more articulate version of Nike's "Just do it" slogan. There are so many things I do or don't do out of fear. Little things, even, like not painting my walls a bright color or not speaking up in a meeting. Fear is a dangerous thing, a powerful thing, but it's also something we can learn to control. And I think the very best way to overcome fear is through understanding our place in Christ. We are infinitely precious to Him, and if He is with us and for us, why would we do things out of fear?! Fear is just a lie telling us He is not powerful enough to handle our situations  And if we are striving to be like Him, we have to learn to put aside our own fears in order to serve others first. Easier said than done, I know. But I think the point is that fear, itself, is not wrong. Letting fear control you is the real danger. That is the only thing we should really fear. Be afraid. Be as afraid as you want! But friends, don't let fear hold you back. 
And with that random thought, have a fearfully happy weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm behind on my blog reading, but I was just thinking about fear and how it controls me in some areas. I am phobic about snakes - ALL snakes. I live in the country. I stay inside when the snakes are out. However, over the years I have learned to leave the house. I am still afraid, but GOD has been so wonderful to bless me with children that will kill and protect me from any snake. I was just thinking about that because HE has not taken away my fear - which I've prayed for HIM to do so many years. Instead, HE provided these children that will walk alongside me (literally, on either side) and watch for and protect me from the snakes. HE did answer my prayer, just in a different way than I expected. So, in reality, my fear has turned into a blessing because I always have company when I go on a walk!!! Also, I conquered my fear of paint and painted our wall by the fireplace this absolutely gorgeous deep rust color!! I am so glad I got over that fear because I LOVE the color so much better than white!! Thanks for posting the quote and your thoughts. Always....they are an encouragement to me!!

    ReplyDelete