Monday, March 22, 2010

Dresser Remake

In the garage, I have a big, ugly black dresser that I got from Goodwill for $20. The paint is scabby and gross and most of the handles have fallen off or are hanging from one side. But I have a dream of sanding it down and painting it up and using it as a TV stand. Then I would have drawers and drawers of storage for DVDs etc. I would love for them to be hidden away but still accessible. But I haven't really decided what color to paint it. Black or white or colorful? Subtle or wild? High gloss or flat? Ahh the choices! So I went to the interwebs searching for inspiration, and I found so many choices that I am even more ovewhelmed now than before. So vote now on your favorites! I need all the help I can get ;)
This is a good mix of exciting and subtle, but it might be hard to do it myself.
gray is definitey a possibility
White is also a very good option, since it is versatile and subtle and classic. 

Black is good because it is also versatile and classic. But glossy or flat paint? And I really want to paint the master bedroom dresser black, so would that be too many black dressers??
Oh my! The bright colors! These are pretty cool! I love them all, but I'm just not sure a color will work in my living room at present. And as my mom so wisely pointed out, this is a fad that will probably be out in about a year, and there will be people all over the design world with brightly colored and very "out" dressers. And I don't want to be one of them ;)
Oh my, I LOVE the glamour of these glossy, shiny, metalic chests. But I'm afraid it would look cheap if I try to do it myself. The only way to keep it from looking cheap would be to buy really really expensive paint, and that defeats the purpose of the cheap-o used dresser.
Ah! Stripes! So. Many. Choices.

Anyway, the option I am actually the closest to choosing is not picutred (sorry, couldn't find anything similar). I am leaning towards a really glossy, really dark navy blue. I think it would still come across as a neutral, would be semi-unique, and would still work with all the other furniture in the room. What do you think??

4 comments:

  1. hmmm...how would navy look with your red/gold chair and pale blue chairs? would it be too many colors in that room?
    I think you should paint it black and then buff over it with gold paint...you know, so the black still shows through but it has a gold sheen on top. That's just my opinion. Because I love black and gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think navy would look good. I like it with red and gold, and I'd have to move at least 1 of the blue chairs out anyway. I'm just not sure if I can pull off black/gold without it looking tacky/cheap. And there's absolutely no black in here, and I think navy would look better with the dark wood coffee table etc...Hmmmm its soo hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah I forgot about the coffee table...hmmmm...what about a matching dark wood stain? (I really can't remember what the dresser looks like which isn't helping my visualization)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journey should be continued while fixing some broken, willing to ask for help is not easy, because before the vehicle
    is better than the other, that there would even have begun its course
    appropriated by competitors. As a British Overseas Territory, Gibraltar is a
    member of the European Union. The memories of paperwork will fade once the value-added tax
    refund is in your hands.

    Review my homepage - http://contractorcalculator.wordpress.com/ ()

    ReplyDelete